Wednesday 9 April 2014

Try-It-Tuesday: Healthy Crunch Wrap Supreme!

So I realize that today is not actually Tuesday, but these things happen, right? I'd like to think that I was sooo busy with my super exciting and eventful life, but actually yesterday I just went to school, did some laundry, did some church stuff, hung out with an old friend, and "studied" (as in a tried...and got distracted by Pinterest....classic). Anyway, clearly I need some more self-control. Although not having dessert for 6 months definitely takes some of that...so I don't feel too bad. I plan on studying a lot today though, and not that I've written that for all the internet world to see, I have to!


So today I was looking on Pinterest for some hip flexor stretches (more on that later, because my mind is BLOWN!) and my stomach started growling, when I remembered this amazing recipe I tried about a year ago. It's a DIY Crunch Wrap Supreme.
The one from Taco Bell actually isn't that bad calorically speaking. It comes in at a whopping 540 calories, with 7g of saturated fat, "0g" trans fats, 1210mg sodium, 71g carbs, 6g sugar, and 16g protein. So yeah, it's tasty, but is it worth it when you can make your own healthier version at home!? Of course not you guys!! 

The recipe that I found called for sour cream, flour tortillas, taco seasoning (which actually isn't all that good for you), and ground beef. Ground beef is not bad (although the more lean, the better), but I had some shredded chicken that I figured would take less time to make, and would be healthier. Win-win!

My tweaked version of this uses healthier subsitutes so you can feel better about your choices...how cliche does that sound?? But for real. You'll be healthier and probably can have 2 if you really wanted, without the effects on nasty chemicals and such! :) 

So, this is what you need:

(2 Servings)

2 large tortillas*
1/2 can shredded cooked chicken
4 tsp taco seasoning (homemade is wayy better for you!)
2 dollops Non-fat plain Greek Yogurt
1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese
shredded Lettuce
diced Tomatoes


* I would've preferred a whole wheat tortilla, but my mom just bought these spinach pesto ones that are about 140 cals/serving, so I figured I could use it too.

**If you want more of a crunch, the other recipe calls for tortilla chips. I opted out, but if you find organic or gluten free ones, those would be a healthy substitute! They have some great ones at Costco!


Step 1: Add chicken to skillet with taco seasoning, just to heat and mix. Cook on medium for about 2 minutes, stirring regularly.


Step 2: Assemble all ingredients! This representation was a classic case of "Lauren's eyes are bigger than her stomach", but that just means leftovers, which is a win in my books.


Step 3: Put the tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds to heat it enough that it will bend easy. Lay the tortilla out, and place shredded chicken, cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt, and top with tomatoes and lettuce. If you want to add the chips, add them after the cheese and chicken.


Step 4: Fold as the photo above shows, folding one edge up towards the centre and repeating in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Fold so that there is no hole in the middle. The original recipe says that if there is though (like the first time I made it), add a piece of tortilla to the centre.


Step 5: Pour grapseed or olive oil in a pan and cook on each side for 3 minutes on medium-low.


Step 6: Enjoy! It's SUPER delicious!!


love, 

Lo



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
{ Blog design by Tasnim }